Friday, July 28, 2006

Haslebury Plucknett - Final resting place of Saint Wulfric...

1979 - the somewhat tinny noise machine that was never named - but for now will be immortalised as the Smiffy/Vaughny/Ivesy/Daffy-guitar/bass-n-drums thang rolled into the other mecca of alternative Somerset culture Haselbury Plucknett village hall.

My memory is to put it midly rather confused about this gig - I seem to recall falling out with the Smiff/Vaughny contigent of the band for sitting in the back of some rusting old transit with Curtis and Fallows of the Mob - smoking super-sized spliffs (a big no-no as the rest of our noise-collective were indeed total anti-weeders) - so I guess there was some sort of Mob contingent involved - I know for a fact that the front-of-house sound was indeed manned by them - no idea if they played however...

The pic below - featuring in the fore-ground 2 members of the audiance - no others than Christine Cole and Jeff Morse - both either getting on down to the slamming sounds eminating from the cabs - or perhaps simply pushing in front of the camera - both were playing with the Bikini Mutants (or perhaps some associated off-shoot) - who I am sort of sure also played on the bill that night... but again - perhaps not ?



The following pic - shows us seriously getting into the stride of things ..



Man oh MAN - were we a cool entity back then - OR WHAT ?

Of course - things were bound to change - for Smiffy - optics offerred a more secure future - Vaughny - pursued higher things via the oft-mentioned - bareyl ever seen and gigged once 'Box Combo' before setting up Pale Red Competitor - and finally having the mis-guided idea of banging out derirvitives for that whipper-snapper PJ Harvey ... Daffy - well where he ended up - it would be good to know ...

8 comments:

Dominic Zero said...

Mark Smith - Smiffy, one of my heroes, wish I knew where he was now.
Steve Vaughn nicked my band to form Pale Red Competitor & they were shit.
Oh, happy days....

Dominic Zero said...

PS Brendan wallis wore a kilt that night...I have photographic evidence.

farmer glitch said...

Yes - Pale Red Competitor - total tosh - agreed - have you seen the photo of them taken by Pat Vaughn - all in dinner suits and a blurred model walking by - tosh !!

Now a pic of trendy-brendy in a kilt from that night would indeed be a nice thig to see ..

Happy Days indeed !!

I am not Kek-w said...

Smiffy! Vaughny! Ivesy! YAY!

Daffy married the daughter of one of my mum-in-law's best friends (if that makes sense), so still lives locally, but haven't actually seen him for donkey's years...

Trendy Brendy inna kilt...ha!

Dominic Zero said...

that Pale Red photo was there single cover.. what Tossers!
My Brendan photo's in storage - but should be moving West in the near future so it will be found and posted.

I am not Kek-w said...

Hey, Dom...yeah, Daffy married Helen Lewis' sister....did I tell you that before?

Dominic Zero said...

Kek - I know. How very. Helen's mum hated my guts.

farmer glitch said...

Who be Helen Lewis ? and why the hated guts ? Maybe I should rename this blog - Zummerzit-punk-post-punk reunited !

If ya got a contact for Daffy would love to grab it one of these days ..