Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The S O Veeeeee



Well I am smitten - and trust me - there is reason for it .....

Ok - I have been following Lady Sovereign through the normal chanels (what can a guy down in Somerset do - apart from download and learn) - alas, South Petherton, and for that matter the whole of the West Country, has yet to provide an outlet for seeing this stuff live on anything other than a sporadic basis - so the online pirate shows the like of RinseFM and the normal p2p routes are still the most immediate for access ! Yes I know I can pick up the 12's (in fact the new SOV is actually packing out shelf space in Virgin no less - but to get to the roots of this stuff, I really want to here the live-chat !!) ...

Following on from the excellent review from Kid Shirt back in March, I have been cheking out the numerous mixes/demos/remixes that are now circulating of Random - and what to say - Kid Shirt - on the face of it - you hit the mark - the Riko rap in the Menta remix does indeed rock-it ! The combination of faked(?) lofi telephone rap slamming back into the SOV-toastin is to say the least totally-inspired... however for simplicity - and if you can find it - the 'demo' mix that I have sitting on the hard-drive here is cute in the way it reveals the track in all its primitive glory - not that any of the mixes are really what would normally be called 'polished' - and sounds like it was recorded on a tape in a bedroom with a minimal of hardware (possibly the same MC-505 session that the whole of the M.I.A. output has been recorded on to serious effect) .....

What is the most inspiring to me about this music - along with the whole of the dub-step/grime output, is the way that lofi-recording techniques/equipment, cheap software tools (stand up Fruityloops et. al.) are empowering the creation of some excellent sounds - in the same way that the non-musicianship and cheapo equipment (anyone remember those Woolworths guitars?) allowed Punk to flourish, we again have an environment where big-bucks and years of expereience are nothing compared to inspiration .... and I love the end-product ! My only fear is that if a tool (or set of tools) are adopted, the music may well end up going the same way as Acid - maybe it is just me - but the thought of yet another TB303 squiggle instantly sends me in the direction of the OFF button on the I-Pod..... the only real difference between the use of a TB303 and software is that the 303 would set you back around US$1000 back in the day, whereas the new-breed of software is next-to-nothing (and quite possibly thanks to p2p NOTHING) ....

Personally I cannot wait for the first 'live' dub-step band to hit the circuit - forget all the synced beatz and sub-freq bass-rumble (shareware software take a seat please) - what could be better than a freaked out bass/percussion duo/trio in serious improv-mode ...... or am I missing the whole point here, or even worst am I just imagining some lame-ass nu-jazz setup !! Maybe it is time to start cutting up some beatz - loading up a couple of sessions in LIVE and trying this out .... lets see ... but for now - as the article was meant to be about Lady SOV - go and sign up as a VIP on her site and take a peek ... me I am off to stick the kettle on ....



1 comment:

Stan said...

The software industry is one of the world's fastest growing industries
with a net worth of hundreds of billions of dollars.

A lot of people have already made their personal fortunes from this
rapidly growing industry.

All this means that it's now the perfect time for you to start your
own software business.

You've just discovered the secret source for a complete range of
ready-made software tools, all of which can be private labeled with
your own details and then sold to generate a lucrative income.

Best Of Success
Stan Morse
http://trafficzone.us/so/free_software.html