Saturday, September 06, 2008

10cc Top Trumps ...

Kicked into gear by Mr. Shirt and because here at the Glitch Barn - we have a super overwhelming soft spot for 10cc here is our Top 10 Pop Picks :


Gizmo / Gizmatron

Top of the list in straight in at number one - is the device released initially by Godley and Creme upon departing 10cc for solo careers sometime around 1975 - THE GIZMO.... check out the demo disk from 1975 here.



Basically this consited of 6 motorised wheels - mounted on a guitar bridge - that when pressed eihter one at a time or in combinations against the strings produced whacked out effects - sort of pre-guitar synth type of thing ... best heard to fine effect on the Godley and Creme (concept - yikes !!!) LP - Consequences ... nice ...


More info here ...



One Night in Paris
First track from what is for me the best LP the guys stuck out - too be honest I was tempted to simply list every darn track from it - at least 3 or 4 separate songs super-glued together here - fine stuff indeed !!


Cry - Godley and Creme
How can any list not include this babe - worth it for the video alone - was going to stick on the History Mix LP - but upon revisiting realisd it sounds supa-dated probaly due to lame 80s production from Trevor Horn - this however sounds just fine and dandy..


I'm Mandy - Fly Me
Don't get me started on this one - but takes me back to early teenage lust with a certain Mandy I used to fumble around with (if you know what I mean) - best not go there !


Dreadlock Holiday
White boys try and play pop-light reggae ? Or simply a damn fine pop record - you decide - me I love it !!!


Donna
Got to admit - another girl is involved in selection of this one - god - was my early teen hormones shaped by early 10cc pop songs - crikes??


I'm Not in Love - Edwina Rigby (1979) / Petula Clark (1978)
The smoocher rooner from the stable - remixed into a glitzy late 70s disco glitter ball - lovely stuff (even the Petula Clark one ain't all bad)...


Rubber Bullets
Imposible not to include this slamming hit ...


Wall Street Shuffle
Yet another slamming 7 incher ...


10cc - Blackmail (from Original Sound Track)


Been listening to this LP all weekend - and could have chosen any of them for inclusion as previousl said - this one kicks with a guitar solo straight out of mid-period Floyd - unexpectedly psychedelic .

Now back to spraying "I luv 10cc" on the back of my school pencil case !!

2 comments:

I am not Kek-w said...

Great post, man! I would kill to get the 3-LP box-set of Consequences...or a Gizmo, for that fact - 30 years on, the Gizmo has got to be the psych-noise gtr-effect of choice!

I was listening to "Cry" last week - it's bloody excellent. Hated it at the time - which just goes to show: what do I know!?

Anonymous said...

Cool blog as for me. I'd like to read more about that topic. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some photos of any gadgets.
Kate Watcerson
Cell phone jammer